Impressions, daydreams and ramblings on art, food, life and other obsessions.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Vermicomposting

We added some red wigglers to our household this week!
Vermicomposting is a method of composting and during this process, red worms convert your organic waste into a usable, natural fertilizer.

On Monday, at work, I signed up for a free worm composting workshop (only 45 min long) and I actually came home from it with my own tote complete with red wigglers, dirt and shredded newspaper. I was delighted! I haven't decided yet if I need to order more worms or if the dozen the instructor gave me will multiply fast enough that I won't need to add to them at all. Depending on their production in the next month, I may add another pound to the mix. Since worms are hermaphroditic, each worm can have up to 12 baby worms a month! Wow. Anyway, I am looking forward to having my own worm castings for the garden next Spring.

Loaded with beneficial bacteria, all natural, non-burning, and odor-free, worm poop is truly a miracle of nature. A single worm produces its weight in casting a day! In the meantime, I am feeding my little worms baked and crushed eggshells from our own chickens and one cup of tiny vegetable scraps per week. They seem to be happy and mind their own business in their little dark home. The cats (Oscar and Oliver) and dog (Canute) don't notice the worms at all and I hope it stays that way.
If you are interested in starting your own vermicomposting bin, here is a great straightforward website that I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment