Impressions, daydreams and ramblings on art, food, life and other obsessions.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ode to Marshmallow Fluff

I have long had an obsession for Marshmallow Fluff.
Perhaps this obsession with Fluff began in the cafeteria at school growing up in Connecticut as I passed by the mounds of Fluffernutter sandwiches that I was not supposed to eat because they were
deemed an unsuitable lunch option by my parents. I am pretty sure that every so often on "brown bag lunch" day, which was the one day I did not bring my own lunch to school, I would grab a bag that contained a Fluffernutter sandwich...oh the joy I felt as I took a big, sweet, sinful, indulgent bite of marshmallowy fluffy goodness and felt a humongous smile spread across my face as I nodded with tasty approval.


There is something about the pure white fluffy spread that just brought so much comfort to me at that age. I am sure I would still find delight in a Fluffernutter sandwich to this day. Yes yes, although Marshmallow Fluff is certainly not going to add vitamins and minerals but rather sweetness to one's meal, we cannot pick on it too much because it still has its original 4 ingredients (Corn Syrup, Sugar Syrup, Dried Egg Whites and Vanillin) rather than a list of 30 unrecognizable chemical ingredients. Since 1917, this classic has not changed a bit.

So this brings me to my inspiration for this post. One of my favorite magazines, Gastronomica, sends me monthly email updates and just yesterday I received notification about a forum on Marshmallow Fluff! I think it is just EXCELLENT that Gastronomica is holding a forum in NYC about this classic food item. If I lived anywhere near NYC, I would definitely be attending the event. I am looking forward to reading the article in their Spring issue that is dedicated to Fluff. Like many New England natives, I have a soft spot for Fluff (it's made in Massachusetts, after all). Sure, it's antithetical to almost all food principles by which I cook and eat, but how can you not appreciate something called Fluff?

No comments:

Post a Comment