Impressions, daydreams and ramblings on art, food, life and other obsessions.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rediscovering the Shopsins

I covet the bacon scarf. I think this scarf is absolutely brilliant! So much that I feel as though only Tamara Shopsin, the daughter of the eccentric Kenny Shopsin could come up with such a design. Growing up immersed in Shopsin's at its original location at 63 Bedford Street could only mean a world of eternal inspiration for an artist. The home of the mac-and-cheese pancake, slutty-cakes and blisters on my sisters, Shopsin's will always be of my favorite restaurants. I only had the pleasure of eating at the original location twice, both times indulging in their version of the drink Morir SoƱando, "to die in a dream", alongside a heaping plate of food...I ate at their second location once. Now it is time try their new location at Stall No. 16, 120 Essex Street which I plan on doing in January 2010 when I visit the city with Matt. One must plan these things in advance when you live so far away! If you would like to learn more about Shopsin's, I recommend watching I Like Killing Flies, reading this article, perusing the over 900-item menu (I'll bet you've never seen anything like it!), or of course visiting the place yourself! Be prepared for the most memorable dining experience and be open to listening to profanity while you eat. Follow up with a purchase of Kenny Shopsin's cookbook, Eat Me, another item I really must get my hands on!



No comments:

Post a Comment