Impressions, daydreams and ramblings on art, food, life and other obsessions.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Oaxacan Delights

A couple of weeks ago I finally made a feast for some good friends using the ingredients that I smuggled back from Oaxaca to Alaska this January.

Menu:
Red Mole Turkey Tamales (using our own harvested turkey-meat)
Jicama and Avocado Green Salad
Chips and Authentic Oaxacan Salsa (using dried chiles)
Coconut-Pineapple Tamales (for dessert)
Margaritas

Matt and I sat down together for the tamale-making marathon and it actually did not take too long. It really helps to have a second person for that part! I think we made about 35 tamales.

While in Oaxaca City, Matt and I took a cooking class at La Casa de los Sabores from Pilar along with a group of other people and we learned so much. It was an excellent way to learn the real way to make good tamales. We went along with Pilar to the market to purchase all the ingredients fresh for the meal. Most importantly we were able to learn about the chiles used in Oaxacan cuisine and which ones we should bring home with us to cook with. Matt and I also purchased chepil, avocado leaves, and jamaica and they all successfully make the trip through the airports!

I did not make the agua de jamaica for the dinner with friends simply because I was focusing on the margaritas! But, because a recipe showed up in two food magazines this past month, I made it just the other day to enjoy with Matt and it was a very refreshing and beautiful summer drink. I also came across a variation of the recipe on a website I enjoy that looks delicious and I intend on trying with my next batch.


No comments:

Post a Comment