Impressions, daydreams and ramblings on art, food, life and other obsessions.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

New Green Growth

During this past week I have been transplanting many tomato, eggplant, and pepper seedlings. They seem to be quite happy after their move and I am happy with their size. I also planted some new seeds during the last few days: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Red Cabbage, Green Cabbage, Kale, Collards, Swiss Chard and several varieties of lettuce and some sunflowers for color.

The misty dome covers are taking in the warm sunlight and most of the brassicas which I planted a few days ago have already sprouted. I expect the seeds I sowed today will sprout in another few days. It is at this time every Spring that I plan on the new expansion of my garden. It just gets bigger every year! This year Matt and I will add one more raised bed, measuring 4' x 16' with plans to grow more root vegetables. This year I am growing rutabagas and turnips for the first time. The extra bed will also open up more room for greens which we can never seem to get enough of. Now if only the snow would melt once and for all on the ground (we still have 2 feet!) I would be able to get out there in a couple of weeks and start feeding the soil in preparation for potatoes, peas and root veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment