Impressions, daydreams and ramblings on art, food, life and other obsessions.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring is Here!

Last night was exciting because I decided to plant my tomato, pepper, eggplant, rosemary and lavender seeds so the first day of Spring could wake those little seeds and help them grow! I am sure they are enjoying their sunny spot near our sliders upstairs in the warmth. In a few days they will sprout.


This early planting leaves those little seedlings with 60+ days of protected warmth indoors before I move them out to the greenhouse. We are all hoping for a less rainy and cool summer here in Fairbanks this year so that our tomatoes will do better. Last year I ended up with about 100 green tomatoes lining my kitchen come September because very few had time to ripen in time before the cold weather arrived in the Fall. Green tomatoes are not such a bad thing though. I made the most delicious recipe for Dilly Green Tomatoes (using cherry tomatoes) last year and I still have 2 jars left to devour with Matt. We think they are absolutely delicious and very addictive!

As I sat and looked at the sky last night at 9pm, I took comfort in the fact that it was not quite dark yet. Twilight at 9pm. Wow, the light is definitely back and in full blast! The visible light here is at 14 hours and we gain an hour every week until it just does not get dark anymore for awhile. Ahhh! I do love the summers here. Perhaps Spring in Alaska is my favorite time of year now because it means summer is coming fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment